The Kordopulov House is a large Bulgarian National Revival house in the southwestern Bulgarian town of Melnik. It was built in 1754 specifically for wine production and was bought by the rich and known Greek merchant Manolis Kordopulos. The house, possibly the largest of its kind and period, is located in the town's eastern part and consists of a ground floor that includes a wine cellar, a semi-basement for economic needs and a bay floor intended to be inhabited.
The place, the excavated basements, the ground floor speak about the great creation and mind during its construction, which keeps and fulfils the tradition of producing red wine. The Kordopulova house consists:
- a ground floor with excavited basements for wine,with storing capacity 250-300 m of wine.
- half-floor for economical purposes and bay floor for residence.Entering the house there is a very strong impression from one of its fabulous room.This is the living room which is very large and there are 12 windows.The lower row of windows is in Bulgarian style and they are tipical for our restoration construction.
The ceiling of this room is made of wood,representing the sun with 12 sharp rectangles in the number of the months in a year.Noticeable in this room will also be that in it marvelous barrels for wine are preserved from which once the guests of the house had drunk from the famous Melnik wine.In it also preserved skillfully made carpets which cover the wooden basis of the room.
On the ground floor of the Kordopulova house there are true,even fantastic labyrinths and wine basements and each of them has its own history. In them the famous Melnik wine was produced and stored,and today the owners have kept this tradition and they meet with wine every visitor of the house.